A far cry from Heinz baked beans in a can, I am very happy with the way this recipe turned out. It has that traditional sweetness along with a little added spice.
- One 16 oz bag of dry white kidney beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 pound of slab bacon (go to a butcher, please), diced in small cubes
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 of a cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ground dry mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- dash of chipotle powder (optional but it adds to the smokey flavor with just a touch of heat)
- salt and pepper to taste
Just for inspiration, I have to show you our complete meal.
|On the left is a spicy, no-mayo slaw with red cabbage and carrots, and below is Nick' slow cooked, barbecue brisket.|
|If Nick ever decides to share this recipe it could be a future blog post.|